I’m interrupting my time with friends here as It’s nice to be able to reveal finally that I’ve been a member of the British Comic Awards selection committee this year.
As part of the work I’ve read over 200 British comic book titles, and I have been very impressed with the vitality and diversity of work being created in the UK currently.
On Sunday this year’s judges, who will determine the winners in each shortlisted category, were announced:
- Jonathan Entwistle – A film director currently developing a UK based adaptation of Charles Forsman’s comic TEOTFW.
- Jessica Hynes – An award winning actor and writer known to many as Daisy Steiner from the influential sitcom Spaced.
- Danny John-Jules – An actor, singer and dancer who has appeared in numerous musicals and films. Best known for his role as Cat in Red Dwarf.
- Jonathan Ross – The infamous television and radio presenter and comic book writer.
- Suzy Varty – Comics creator and tutor known for her work in the British Women’s Comic movement of the 1970s.
The shortlists for all the categories, chosen by the BCA Committee, will be announced on Friday, 17 October.
The winners will be revealed at the 3rd Annual British Comics Awards Ceremony on Saturday, 15 November as part of the Thought Bubble Festival in Leeds.