Welcome to Maura McHugh’s web site.
Maura writes, prose, comic books, plays, and screenplays, and lives in the west of Ireland.
If you wish to contact her you can always leave a message on her blog or drop her a note via the contact form.
- I’ll be attending FantasyCon by the Sea in Scarborough and participating in two panels and an anthology book lauch on 24 September 2016.
- My short story ‘The Fruit of the Tree’ will be in the Ten Tall Tales anthology, edited by Ian Whates, published by NewCon Press. It will be launched at Fantasycon in Scarborough on 24 September 2016.
- I’ll be writing the script for the Jennifer Wilde computer game, developed by Outsider Games in partnership with Atomic Diner Comics and Northern Ireland Screen, and is based on the original comic book series I wrote for Atomic Diner.
- My short story ‘A Rebellious House’ will be in The Madness of Dr. Caligari anthology, edited by Joe S. Pulver, and published by Fedogan and Bremer, due out autumn 2016.
- I’ll be giving a lecture for the Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies in London from 7pm – 10pm on 8 December 2016, in the Horse Hospital, Colonnade, Bloomsbury, London WC1N 1JD. The title of the talk is: ‘Working the ‘Blue Rose Case: Signs, Codes, and Mysteries in David Lynch’s Fire Walk With Me‘.
- Cassilda’s Song: Tales Inspired by Robert W. Chambers King in Yellow Mythos, edited by Joe S. Pulver, has been nominated for a World Fantasy Award in the Anthology category. My story ‘Family’ is in the volume.
- I’ll be a guest at the inaugural Horror Expo Ireland event, which is taking place at the Freemasons Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin on Sunday, 30 October 2016.
- I’ll be a guest at the Dublin Ghost Story Festival, which is taking place from 19 – 21 August 2016, at the Freemason Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin.
- I’ve co-curated a stream of programming in the Hay Festival, Kells (23 – 26 June), with technology journalist Karlin Lillington, called ‘The Image’.
- Emma Newman invited me to appear on an episode of her (and Peter Newman’s) podcast, Tea and Jeopardy.
- I’ll be speaking at the two hundred and forty sixth Inaugural meeting of The Hist in Trinity College Dublin, on the subject of ‘Making the Modern Heroine’.
- My short story ‘Spooky Girl’ will be appearing in a forthcoming anthology from Fox Spirit Books, called Respectable Horror, which is edited by Kate Laity.
- My short near-future play, The Love of Small Appliances, has been selected by the Waking the Feminists West team, to be part of their New Play Reading, taking place on 6 May in the Town Hall Theatre, studio, in Galway.
- I appeared on Arena – RTÉ Radio 1’s Arts & Culture show – during its 1 March broadcast, discussing the Fête de la Bande Dessinée, the Irish / French Comic Book Festival in Dublin.
- My story, ‘The Light at the Centre’, will appears in Uncertainties: Twenty-Two Strange Tales, edited by Brian J. Showers for Liberties Press in Ireland.
- ‘Territory’, a story written by Julie Steinbacher, is on Podcastle – I read the story, along with Kim Jones, for the podcast.
- My short story ‘Moments on the Cliff’ will appear in issue 41 of the Galway literary magazine Crannóg. I’ll be at its launch at 6.30 pm on Friday, 26 February at the Crane Bar, Sea Road, Galway.
- I’ll be a guest at the Fête de la Bande Dessinée – Comic Book Festival on 2 March, at the Mart Firestation, 190a Rathmines Road Lower, Dublin 6.
- My story ‘Zel and Grets’ will appear in the forthcoming anthology The Grimm Future, edited by Erin Underwood.
- My short story ‘Valerie’ will be reprinted in Obsidian: A Decade of Horror Stories by Women, published by NewCon Press.
- I’ve been shortlisted for the The Geekies 2015 – the Geek Ireland Awards – in the Best Irish Writer category.
- I won the Best Irish Writer Published Outside of Ireland, in the ICN Awards 2015.
- I’ve been shortlisted for the Best Irish Writer Award in The Arcade Awards 2015
- I’ll be part of a panel discussion after the rehearsed reading of Kneale’s lost drama The Road at the Horse Hospital, London from 7pm – 10pm on 10 December, organised by Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies.
- I’ve written a script for a short comic that will detail the origin story for Lola Vita, a character from Wailing Heights, a new video game forthcoming from Outsider Games. It’s being drawn by Ron Salas (Marvel Comics, Dark Horse, DC Comics).
- At 8pm on Thursday, 15 October Kim Newman and I will be talking about ‘Things That Go bump in the Night… and why we love them!’ at the Riverbank Arts Centre as part of the Kildare Readers Festival 2015.
- I have an article in the non-fiction anthology, We Are The Martians: The Legacy of Nigel Kneale, which is edited by Neil Snowdon and published by Spectral Press.
- Delcourt has published a French translation of Witchfinder Volume 3: Les Mystères d’Unland.
- My short story ‘Family’ is in Cassilda’s Song, an anthology of stories inspired by Robert W Chambers The King in Yellow mythology, and edited by Joe S. Pulver. The book will be published by Chaosium Inc. in time for the 2015 NecronomiCon Providence convention in August.
Older news › ›