Welcome to Maura McHugh’s web site.
Maura writes, prose, comic books, plays, and screenplays, and lives in the west of Ireland.
- I’ll be Skyping in to the London meeting of Laydeez do Comics in Foyles, on 1 July, 2014.
- I’ve been nominated for a British Fantasy Award in the Best Comic/Graphic Novel category for my writing on the Jennifer Wilde mini-series Unlikely Revolutionaries, along with artist Stephen Downey, and writer Karen Mahoney (who wrote the stand-alone JW story The Wilde Hunt). The comics were published by Atomic Diner Comics in Dublin.
- I’ll be signing issue 1 of Witchfinder: The Mysteries of Unland at Sub-City Comics at its new location at 62 Dame Street, Dublin, Ireland 2, on Saturday, 21 June from noon – 4pm.
- A paperback edition of Twisted Fairy Tales is available in France, titled Contes pour faire peur, which is translated by Marie-Paule Zierski.
- My short story ‘Bone Mother’ has been optioned by the National Film Board of Canada’s Animation Studio with the view to make a short stop-motion animated film, which will be adapted and directed by Sylvie Trouvé and Dale Hayward, and produced for the NFB by Jelena Popovic.
- I’m going to be a guest at D.I.C.E. (Dublin International Comic Expo) – 27 – 28 September, 2014 in Dundrum, Co. Dublin.
- I reviewed MCM Ireland Comic Con for the Forbidden Planet International blog, which has photos I took at the event.
- I recently appeared on RTÉ Radio 1’s arts show, Arena, offering a preview of the inaugural MCM Ireland Comic Con in Dublin.
- I’ll be a guest at an event called Irish Comics Chat, which will take place at the Rua Red arts centre in Tallaght in Dublin from 12.30pm – 6pm on Saturday, 29 March.
- I’m very pleased to announce that I’m co-writing a Witchfinder comic book mini-series with Kim Newman which is part of the Hellboy universe created by Mike Mignola, and published by Dark Horse Comics.
- My short story ‘Valerie’ will appear in the anthology La Femme, edited by Ian Whates from NewCon Press, due out in April.
- Writer Ray Cluley analyses my short story ‘Water‘ on This is Horror.
- I’ve written a new Jennifer Wilde short comic book story that is being drawn by Leeann Hamilton. It will be in full colour, and posted online during the summer.
- Issue 1 of Jennifer Wilde: Unlikely Revolutionaries is now available to buy on ComiXology.
- The Women Write About Comics web site announced their annual awesome awards, and I was short-listed in the Geek Feminist category.
- My short story ‘The Hanging Tree’ is published in issue 38 of horror magazine Black Static.
- I’m nominated in the Best Irish Writer category in The Arcade Awards.