Welcome to Maura McHugh’s web site.
Maura writes, prose, comic books, plays, and screenplays, and lives in the west of Ireland.
- I’ll be In Conversation with Posy Simmonds at the British Comic Awards ceremony at 6pm on Saturday, 15 November at theThought Bubble Sequential Art Festival in the Bury Theatre, Royal Armouries, Leeds Dock.
- I’ve been nominated in two categories for the Irish Comics Awards, 2014.
- I’ll be giving a talk to members of the Writers Guild of Ireland on Thursday, 6 November, on Writing for Comic Books.
- For the Think of a City exquisite corpse storytelling project I’ll be collaborating with artist Marguerite Sauvage. Our contribution will be out in late 2015.
- I’ll be doing a signing at the Dark Horse Comics at the Fire and Stone Signing Stage at New York Comic Con on Sunday, 12 October, from 12pm – 12.50pm if you want any comics signed.
- I’ll be Skyping in to the London meeting of Laydeez do Comics in Foyles, on 1 July, 2014.
- I’ve been nominated for a British Fantasy Award in the Best Comic/Graphic Novel category for my writing on the Jennifer Wilde mini-series Unlikely Revolutionaries, along with artist Stephen Downey, and writer Karen Mahoney (who wrote the stand-alone JW story The Wilde Hunt). The comics were published by Atomic Diner Comics in Dublin.
- I’ll be signing issue 1 of Witchfinder: The Mysteries of Unland at Sub-City Comics at its new location at 62 Dame Street, Dublin, Ireland 2, on Saturday, 21 June from noon – 4pm.
- A paperback edition of Twisted Fairy Tales is available in France, titled Contes pour faire peur, which is translated by Marie-Paule Zierski.
- My short story ‘Bone Mother’ has been optioned by the National Film Board of Canada’s Animation Studio with the view to make a short stop-motion animated film, which will be adapted and directed by Sylvie Trouvé and Dale Hayward, and produced for the NFB by Jelena Popovic.
- I’m very pleased to announce that I’m co-writing a Witchfinder comic book mini-series with Kim Newman which is part of the Hellboy universe created by Mike Mignola, and published by Dark Horse Comics.
- My short story ‘Valerie’ will appear in the anthology La Femme, edited by Ian Whates from NewCon Press, due out in April.
- Writer Ray Cluley analyses my short story ‘Water‘ on This is Horror.
- I’ve written a new Jennifer Wilde short comic book story that is being drawn by Leeann Hamilton. It will be in full colour, and posted online during the summer.
- Issue 1 of Jennifer Wilde: Unlikely Revolutionaries is now available to buy on ComiXology.
- My short story ‘The Hanging Tree’ is published in issue 38 of horror magazine Black Static.
- I’m nominated in the Best Irish Writer category in The Arcade Awards.