Welcome to Maura McHugh’s web site.
Maura writes, prose, comic books, plays, and screenplays, and lives in the west of Ireland.
- I reviewed MCM Ireland Comic Con for the Forbidden Planet International blog, which has photos I took at the event.
- I recently appeared on RTÉ Radio 1’s arts show, Arena, offering a preview of the inaugural MCM Ireland Comic Con in Dublin.
- I’ll be a guest at an event called Irish Comics Chat, which will take place at the Rua Red arts centre in Tallaght in Dublin from 12.30pm – 6pm on Saturday, 29 March.
- I’m very pleased to announce that I’m co-writing a Witchfinder comic book mini-series with Kim Newman which is part of the Hellboy universe created by Mike Mignola, and published by Dark Horse Comics.
- My short story ‘Valerie’ will appear in the anthology La Femme, edited by Ian Whates from NewCon Press, due out in April.
- Writer Ray Cluley analyses my short story ‘Water‘ on This is Horror.
- I’ve written a new Jennifer Wilde short comic book story that is being drawn by Leeann Hamilton. It will be in full colour, and posted online during the summer.
- Issue 1 of Jennifer Wilde: Unlikely Revolutionaries is now available to buy on ComiXology.
- The Women Write About Comics web site announced their annual awesome awards, and I was short-listed in the Geek Feminist category.
- My short story ‘The Hanging Tree’ is published in issue 38 of horror magazine Black Static.
- My collection Twisted Myths was published in the USA by Barron’s Educational Series on 1 October, 2013. It’s a 144 page large-size hardback, containing twenty myths from around the world with illustrations by Jane Laurie. It’s available to buy on Amazon.com.
- I recently appeared on RTÉ Radio 1 Arts Show, Arena, discussing the career of novelist/comic book writer Neil Gaiman. You can listen to my segment online.
- Issue 3 of Jennifer Wilde has been published by Atomic Diner, and it can be ordered ordered online.
- On 1 February, 2013 Twisted Fairy Tales was published in the USA by Barron’s Educational Series. It’s a 144 page large-size hardback, containing twenty classic fairy tales retold with a dark slant, accompanied by lavish illustrations by Jane Laurie. It’s available for order on Amazon.com.