Welcome to Maura McHugh’s web site.
Maura writes, prose, comic books, plays, and screenplays, and lives in the west of Ireland.
- Delcourt has published a French translation of Witchfinder Volume 3: Les Mystères d’Unland.
- My short story ‘Family’ is in Cassilda’s Song, an anthology of stories inspired by Robert W Chambers The King in Yellow mythology, and edited by Joe S. Pulver. The book will be published by Chaosium Inc. in time for the 2015 NecronomiCon Providence convention in August.
- I edited the Song of the Sea picture book, which is written by Will Collins, based on his screenplay of the animated film, which was directed by Tomm Moore for Cartoon Saloon. It’s available from the web site, and suitable for ages about 7 and up.
- I’ll be a guest at the ComicCity Festival of Comics, Illustration, and Storytelling, in the Millennium Forum, Derry/Lononderry from 12-13 September, 2015.
- I’ll be discussing Neil Gaiman’s latest short story collection, Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances, on RTÉ Radio 1’s culture show, Arena, this Monday, 9 March, at some point between 7pm – 8pm.
- Kim Newman & I will be signing copies of the trade paperback collection of Witchfinder: The Secrets of Unland, in Forbidden Planet in London, on 15 April.
- I’ll be a guest at the Cork Comic Expo in Mahon Point on 25 April, 2015.
- I won Best Irish Writer (comics) in the Arcade Awards.
- My short story ‘Bone Mother’ is being adapted as a short stop-motion animated film by Sylvie Trouvé and Dale Hayward (See Creature animation company), and produced for the National Film Board of Canada by Jelena Popovic.
- The next Laydeez do Comics meeting is taking place on Saturday, 29 November in the Odessa Club in Dublin. Our speakers are: C.E. Murphy, Philip Barrett, me, and Paul Bolger.
- I’ll be Guest of Honour at Octocon 2015, which is taking place in the Camden Court Hotel from 10 – 11 October 2015.
- I’ll be In Conversation with Posy Simmonds at the British Comic Awards ceremony at 6pm on Saturday, 15 November at theThought Bubble Sequential Art Festival in the Bury Theatre, Royal Armouries, Leeds Dock.
- I’ve been nominated in two categories for the Irish Comics Awards, 2014.
- I’ll be giving a talk to members of the Writers Guild of Ireland on Thursday, 6 November, on Writing for Comic Books.
- For the Think of a City exquisite corpse storytelling project I’ll be collaborating with artist Marguerite Sauvage. Our contribution will be out in late 2015.
- I’ll be doing a signing at the Dark Horse Comics at the Fire and Stone Signing Stage at New York Comic Con on Sunday, 12 October, from 12pm – 12.50pm if you want any comics signed.
- I’ve been nominated for a British Fantasy Award in the Best Comic/Graphic Novel category for my writing on the Jennifer Wilde mini-series Unlikely Revolutionaries, along with artist Stephen Downey, and writer Karen Mahoney (who wrote the stand-alone JW story The Wilde Hunt). The comics were published by Atomic Diner Comics in Dublin.
- I’ll be signing issue 1 of Witchfinder: The Mysteries of Unland at Sub-City Comics at its new location at 62 Dame Street, Dublin, Ireland 2, on Saturday, 21 June from noon – 4pm.
- I’m very pleased to announce that I’m co-writing a Witchfinder comic book mini-series with Kim Newman which is part of the Hellboy universe created by Mike Mignola, and published by Dark Horse Comics.
- My short story ‘Valerie’ will appear in the anthology La Femme, edited by Ian Whates from NewCon Press, due out in April.
- Writer Ray Cluley analyses my short story ‘Water‘ on This is Horror.
- I’ve written a new Jennifer Wilde short comic book story that is being drawn by Leeann Hamilton. It will be in full colour, and posted online during the summer.
- Issue 1 of Jennifer Wilde: Unlikely Revolutionaries is now available to buy on ComiXology.
- My short story ‘The Hanging Tree’ is published in issue 38 of horror magazine Black Static.