Welcome to Maura McHugh’s web site.
Maura writes, prose, comic books, plays, and screenplays, and lives in the west of Ireland.
- I’ll be discussing Neil Gaiman’s latest short story collection, Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances, on RTÉ Radio 1’s culture show, Arena, this Monday, 9 March, at some point between 7pm – 8pm.
- Kim Newman & I will be signing copies of the trade paperback collection of Witchfinder: The Secrets of Unland, in Forbidden Planet in London, on 15 April.
- I’ll be a guest at the Cork Comic Expo in Mahon Point on 25 April, 2015.
- I won Best Irish Writer (comics) in the Arcade Awards.
- My short story ‘Bone Mother’ is being adapted as a short stop-motion animated film by Sylvie Trouvé and Dale Hayward (See Creature animation company), and produced for the National Film Board of Canada by Jelena Popovic.
- The next Laydeez do Comics meeting is taking place on Saturday, 29 November in the Odessa Club in Dublin. Our speakers are: C.E. Murphy, Philip Barrett, me, and Paul Bolger.
- I’ll be Guest of Honour at Octocon 2015, which is taking place in the Camden Court Hotel from 10 – 11 October 2015.
- I’ll be In Conversation with Posy Simmonds at the British Comic Awards ceremony at 6pm on Saturday, 15 November at theThought Bubble Sequential Art Festival in the Bury Theatre, Royal Armouries, Leeds Dock.
- I’ve been nominated in two categories for the Irish Comics Awards, 2014.
- I’ll be giving a talk to members of the Writers Guild of Ireland on Thursday, 6 November, on Writing for Comic Books.
- For the Think of a City exquisite corpse storytelling project I’ll be collaborating with artist Marguerite Sauvage. Our contribution will be out in late 2015.
- I’ll be doing a signing at the Dark Horse Comics at the Fire and Stone Signing Stage at New York Comic Con on Sunday, 12 October, from 12pm – 12.50pm if you want any comics signed.
- I’ve been nominated for a British Fantasy Award in the Best Comic/Graphic Novel category for my writing on the Jennifer Wilde mini-series Unlikely Revolutionaries, along with artist Stephen Downey, and writer Karen Mahoney (who wrote the stand-alone JW story The Wilde Hunt). The comics were published by Atomic Diner Comics in Dublin.
- I’ll be signing issue 1 of Witchfinder: The Mysteries of Unland at Sub-City Comics at its new location at 62 Dame Street, Dublin, Ireland 2, on Saturday, 21 June from noon – 4pm.
- I’m very pleased to announce that I’m co-writing a Witchfinder comic book mini-series with Kim Newman which is part of the Hellboy universe created by Mike Mignola, and published by Dark Horse Comics.
- My short story ‘Valerie’ will appear in the anthology La Femme, edited by Ian Whates from NewCon Press, due out in April.
- Writer Ray Cluley analyses my short story ‘Water‘ on This is Horror.
- I’ve written a new Jennifer Wilde short comic book story that is being drawn by Leeann Hamilton. It will be in full colour, and posted online during the summer.
- Issue 1 of Jennifer Wilde: Unlikely Revolutionaries is now available to buy on ComiXology.
- My short story ‘The Hanging Tree’ is published in issue 38 of horror magazine Black Static.